Friday, July 25, 2008

Thing 18

I think there are many good uses for the online documents offered in OpenOffice2. The advantages are that kids can download and use them at home, free. The draw capabilities are adequate for basic work and you can create Flash versions of your work. The multi-media presentations have lots of good tools and can also be converted to Flash versions. Also, you can save your work in different formats like MS Word. However, most teachers already have all the MS suite at school. Perhaps they might use Open Office2 at home, however. The presentation limitations will make it impossible for me to create slide shows because of all the visuals I use. They make the files very large. Lastly, the calendar is not easy to use. It would work better if you could simply click in the field and type everything directly or at least add everyting to one field. I could not figure out how to do this. I do not foresee ever using these Online Productivity Tools but it is nice to know that they exist. I may find a use for them in the future.

No comments: